Monday 17 February 2014

Sabudana khichdi in a Microwave

Sabudana Khichdi

Microwave is one of the most marvellous inventions of the last century....and I am sure many would agree with me....though there are a few naysayers...and they may have a valid point with regards to the rays of that machine....but boy it does make life soooo much easier...

Take the above mentioned dish...I used to prepare sabudana khichdi on the stove top - but had it turn to mush many a times...and then I discovered this recipe...and thought..duh!?! ...how could I have missed this...this dish is meant for the micro - where every pearl needs to be separate...and yet thoroughly cooked...what better method is available...

I had my own recipe for cooking this dish - but when I read the microwave version on  One stove top's site...I found it so perfect...that I appropriated that for my own and now that is my standard recipe with a minor changes. I find it a bit dry - so add a couple of tablespoons of water while cooking it. I have also reduced the peanuts...though these are just to my taste...you may add more peanuts, chillies, coconut, dhania(cilantro), salt & sugar as per your taste.

The past few days the weather has been kind of chilly, so one feels the need to relish a nice hot breakfast...and T has been out of town the whole week...(missing you sweetie)....so decided that I could make this and share it with my Mom who also loves having something different for her breakfast / mid morning snack.




So was up bright and early - and got set with all that I needed...and here is the list of the ingredients and the how to....
This makes a very good, tasty breakfast or snack or can even be had as a light lunch....and it is so simple in the microwave...that it(the micro) really needs a shout of appreciation...Thank you Percy Spencer  for this great invention.

Ingredients:
Ingredients

1 cup sabudana (sago pearls ) - washed & soaked overnight
1/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts
1 Tblspn sugar
1 tsp salt or to taste

1 - 2 chopped green chillies
1 medium potato chopped & boiled
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1Tblspn clarified butter (desi ghee)
1 Tblspn oil

1-2 Tblspn water

1-2  tsp lemon juice
1 Tblspn fresh grated coconut
1-2 Tblspn coriander leaves(dhania patta)(cilantro)

Method:
1) Wash and soak the sabudana in just enough water to cover the sabudana and keep overnight. The sabudana absorbs all the water and swells up a bit...this water absorbed by the sabudana helps to cook it in the microwave though it appears to be quite dry.
2) Chop the potato and cook with a few drops of water in the microwave till done.
3) Mix the crushed roasted peanuts, sugar, salt in the sabudana and thoroughly mix it.
4) In a microwave safe bowl mix the boiled potato, chopped green chillies, ghee, oil, and jeera and microwave for a minute. You will get the smell of the tadka...else microwave for another half minute or so.
Potato & Tadka
5) Add the sabudana mixture to the above potato and tadka, mix it and then microwave for a minute.
6) Let it rest for a couple of minutes. Give it a stir.
7) Micro for another minute...rest a couple of minutes - give it one more stir.
8) At this stage - take a taste test....and if also check if done...I prefer it a bit more done..and a little moist - so at this stage I add a tablespoon or two of water - sprinkling it all over.
9) Microwave it for another minute...and rest for another couple minutes.
10) Then do the final flavouring and garnish...mix in the lemon juice, grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot.


Final flavouring & garnish

Enjoy !!!

Ok...so the dish was done...I had some with my morning tea - having already packed some for my Mom - went over for the final test...the MOM taste test...if she passed it...then success...

Well the result...she relished it too...and hence this post...hope you get to try it out too...and let me know how you find this recipe if you do happen to make it. 

1 comment: