Monday 11 June 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

After I have written the title I do not think anything more needs to be written ...it is all said...mmmm....( well maybe the recipe, after all that is what this blog is supposed to be about )...hmmm...maybe I could put in a bit about the making & admiring & tasting...& admiring again...

The aroma of  the cookies has filled my house ...just absolutely love it....I think that is the reason I love to bake...just so as to have the house smelling so good...I know there are candles with that fragrance and can imagine that would be a good sell.

Our favourite cookies are oatmeal raisin cookies...and we would often buy a pack of them ....so when I decided to bake some, I went through quite a few recipes for the same...found some very healthy one - with honey and oats etc..did try it out....with disappointing results...not that the cookie was bad ...just not the same as what we were looking for...
Then I came upon this one from the "Joy of Baking" site...and it turned out to be amazing...the only thing I would change it the quantity of sugar - it could do with a little less.

This is good for a snack with milk or just by itself or after a meal for dessert...or if you are like me...just to nibble on and off... am wondering whether any will be left for others :-)



To try it out I halved the portions - and got 20 medium sized cookies...
Since the recipe when halved, called for 1 large egg - and I had small to medium eggs with me, I used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white.
To halve the sugar I had to take 1/2 cup of brown and 1/6 cup of white...so for the 1/6 cup I took 2 Tblspoons of white sugar....
The recipe calls for dark raisins - but you could use either light and dark - I used the dark larger ones available here - just softened them a bit in warm water.

Given below is the actual recipe :

Ingredients :

1 cup (226 gms ) unsalted butter room temperature
1 cup ( 210 gms ) light or dark brown sugar
1/3 cup (65 gms ) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups (195 gms ) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups ( 260 gms ) old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup (  140 gms ) dark raisins

Method :

1) Preheat the oven to 350 F - 180 C.
2) Grease a baking tray or line with parchment paper.
3) Beat the butter and sugars till creamy ( about 2-3 minutes). Add the eggs one at a time and beat to incorporate them. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
4) In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
5) Add the flour mixture to the butter & sugar and beat until incorporated.
6) Add the oats and raisins and mix well.
7) For large cookies use a 1/4 cup to scoop the dough ( I used a tablespoon measure - made some smaller in size )...then flatten it out a bit to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and bake 14 - 18 minutes rotating the cookie sheets midway.



The edges of the cookies should be golden brown and more soft in the centre. If you bake it longer it will become more crispy. Cool the cookies on the sheet for a while then transfer to wire racks to cool further. Store in an airtight container.

And....Enjoy !!!




OMG ...the taste, mix of soft and chewy and crispy textures, cannot describe it ....got to make and eat it to know it....loved it even when we got it from the store...but there is something special about making at home...it tastes even more awesome....hope you get to bake and enjoy them too...

No comments:

Post a Comment