Monday 23 December 2013

Low fat Chocolate Brownie / Cake / Something in middle...

Ok, So I am doing this after a very long time - by this I mean putting down my recipe....not sure why ....
I am generally rather thrilled when I plan to try out anything new and even more thrilled when the end result ( after all my changes ) comes out successful....

I start off with quite a bit of research on the net....take on a few of the best options (with regards to the recipes & it's ingredients) ....check out the pros & cons...and then generally try out one of them with a few of my own variations....
And if it turns out to be a winner - boy am I thrilled (as mentioned above)...and that's when I love to blab about it to anyone who will give me a ear...( or think of blogging...in case the first is missing). 

And that is the cause of my confusion - why the delay ??? in posting - but anyways now that I am here - let me get on with the recipe, this time it is the brownie that I was into...
Actually this is not my first...I have used the box mix many a time with beautiful results...this was way before I started  on my adventures with baking from scratch...with cakes, muffins etc...

I have also baked a sort of instant brownie - which was supposed to be a single serve...which was not bad ....but this was supposed to be full fledged recipe.

As I said I researched and found quite a few - more true to the concept of brownie than this one...but it all had a huge amount of butter, or oil, and sugar..and then I came upon this one...
The recipe said that it was low fat - that was the main attraction for me...as for the sugar - I had my own twist on that...
The only thing is that in most brownie recipes as opposed to cake the flour and butter proportions 1/2 cup is to 1 cup - whereas this really did not fit that category, hence does not fall into the true brownie category - but does it matter...
It is quite fudgy, chocolaty, yummy, delicious - call it what u want  - brownie, cake or anything in between....but do try it...bake it...enjoy it.....cause it is fantastic......and my secret to reduce the sugar ????...to make it more amazing....Dates !!!!
And a twist to an amazing icing on the brownie - Bournvita !!!! that is a chocolaty drink which we have at our place at all times...

So when my alterations to an already amazing recipe yielded even more amazing results - I had to put it down...
Could I have used the word "amazing" any more...well ....let me see.... :-)....



This is quite low fat, and with dates instead of additional sugar, it can be served not just as a desert, it can be had as a snack too - having made it the first time with reduced sugar and increase in dates can vouch for it being a very yummy bite either way...the recipe given below is with sweetness just right for normal taste. 

Recipe as follows :

Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
6-8 dates seeded and chopped
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 egg whites
1 and half Tblspn oil
3 Tblspns unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tblspns Bournvita or any chocolate drink powder
1/4 cup chopped walnuts ( optional )

Method:

1) Put the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder in a mixing bowl and whisk it till blended.
2) Warm the milk and add the chopped dates - keep aside to cool.
3) Beat the egg whites lightly and then add to cooled milk & dates mixture.
4) Then add the oil, and vanilla essence to the milk mixture too.
5) Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly, till it all becomes a smooth paste.
6) Add walnuts to the mix - keeping some aside for topping.
7) Grease an 8" baking dish - and pour in the batter, top with the remaining chopped walnut.
8) Take the Bournvita or chocolate drink powder and sprinkle all over the brownie. This will melt slightly and form a sticky layer on top - giving it a ready made sweet icing.
9) Bake in a 170 degrees oven for about 25-30 minutes. Then take it out and cool on a wire rack - cover and refrigerate for further cooling - for about an hour.

This helps to cut in clean lines - and gives about 16 pieces.
Enjoy !!!

I am sorry to not have any pictures - the first one I made was shared with many and hence got over so fast...and the second one was made for my cousin's kids - and that too was made and transported within no time - so am hoping that the next round will be here long enough for me to get some pictures in ...and which I plan to upload...
Hope you get to try it out in the meantime - and let me know what you thought of this "AMAZING brownie" recipe....thanks... 

No comments:

Post a Comment