Monday 3 March 2014

Ginger Cookie....

Ginger Cookies

There was a loud noise...like a gunshot...no worries...we do not have a gun at home...but it did startle us all...me and my cook were trying to open a bottle of nolen gur...I had not heard of this jaggery before...it is a speciality of Bengal...available during the winter months...this is got by collecting palm saps...
My sister picked up one bottle for herself ( she used this while making some kheer )...and had asked me if I would like to try it out too...I am ever game...so said yes...not sure how I would use it...
It had been laying around in my fridge for the past month or so...and finally when I took up this recipe for ginger cookie...which had an ingredient as molasses - decided to try this gur(jaggery) which was in in a liquid form as a substitute.
The sealed bottle was giving us a tough time - and finally it came open with such a bang...the top flew out the kitchen ( had to hunt it down)...the second seal somewhere closer to us...guess this gur(jaggery) generates some gases if stored too long...
Nyways...that was something...be still my racing heart...and calm the cook down(letting her get back to our lunch preparations) and me getting back to my cookie....

This cookie project was a long time in the making...first in idea, then in thought, then in planning....

It all started...{if I may repeat myself ( as I have already written some of this before)}....with one of our get togethers...and I had made some cinnamon cookies which were a big hit...
The idea germinated at that gathering...that I could perhaps make some ginger cookie to take for some friends(who love ginger cookies) and who stay in Pondicherry where we were all visiting later...our cousins B, R, A were going on earlier, we would be meeting up there...looking forward to that...(sorry here I go meandering again).

Then the thought process started - I needed ginger powder - so set about making that ( check out my blog for help on that )....and then the planning...gathering of the rest of the ingredients...did not stop at only making ginger powder - got more enthused and made some cinnamon and cloves powder too...as those were required as well...and the most important part of the process...organising time for it...

Well finally got it all together...and so here we are...with it all done...phew !!! it was a bit tedious, the dough turned out quite sticky..so added some extra flour, and then kept it in the fridge for an hour to harden ...that really helped - it made it easier to work with...

The first lot I took out as per the time mentioned, it was too soft, so kept it a bit longer...by the time the second lot came out, I was a pro...and the next couple of batches were a breeze...it looks amazing...the taste of ginger, along with a touch of cloves & cinnamon...the chewiness and softness of the cookie...it was all too yummy...so to get to the actual cookie, you need to get first to the recipe and then try it out for yourself...so here goes...

The recipe as adapted from all-recipes site...and adapted...

Ingredients:

2 and half cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white granulated sugar(1/2 + 1/4)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses ( I used nolen gur, jaggery in liquid form)
2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp clove powder
3/4 cup butter -  170 gms
1 Tblspn orange juice or plain water or milk.
1/4 tsp salt ( if butter is unsalted)
1 tsp baking soda

Method:

1) Crush 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon powder, clove powder and keep aside or with 1 inch cinnamon and 2-3 cloves. I used the powders as I had prepared it earlier.

2) In a bowl put softened butter, add remaining white, brown sugars, and the crushed sugar with the spice powders and beat till soft and fluffy. Then add egg, orange juice and beat it to incorporate it all together. Add the molasses and mix.

3) In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients and whisk together, the flour, ginger powder, salt(if using), and baking soda.

4) Mix the flour mixture in the butter mixture to form a dough. This dough is quite sticky...cover and let it rest in the fridge - the butter hardens and this makes it easier to work with.

5) After an hour or so...preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350F.

6) Make small lemon sized balls - place them on a ungreased baking tray about 2 inches apart - and flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass. If you flatten it to much the cookie really spreads out. The above picture is of the first lot which I flattened a bit too much - it makes for a very big cookie as it spreads further. 

7) The original recipe calls for it to be baked for 10 mins - but I required 15 mins in the convection mode of my microwave.
Keep an eye out after 10 mins - it should brown around the edges - but remains soft in the centre.

8) Cool in baking tray for 10 mins - and then on a wire rack till completely cooled - then store in airtight container.

Enjoy !!!

These are amazingly soft chewy cookies with a great ginger taste, for ginger lovers a sure win recipe...hoping our friends like these too...
In spite of the size of the cookies it does not feel too heavy, quite a nice treat to have on a cold day...with warm milk or tea or coffee. It makes for a nice light dessert to round up a good lunch or dinner too...or a mid morning snack to tide us till lunchtime....:-)...so do try it out too...

And now, to go and pack for our trip to Pondi....

1 comment:

  1. While both white and brown versions of basmati rice provide vital nutrients, top long grain rice contains more fiber, phosphorus, zinc, and B vitamins. Brown basmati rice is also lower on the glycemic index.

    ReplyDelete