Monday 3 April 2017

Idli n Dosa (with Idli rava)

Ok...so this blog had been in cold storage for a very long time....circumstances beyond my control....had been thinking about writing again....but nothing excited me enuff to....bake/cook n ofcourse to blog about...

So what was the trigger...well that's what I wanted to let everyone know...I made idli batter at home after a very long time...I have been making different types of dosas...n ..chillas...and have also tried out some store made batter for idlis ( good ones I have to admit ) ...

Then I decided to make it at home....I had bought some idli rava from the store and had wanted to use it up...now our traditional method is Udad dal n rice...(which I have tried many times before with varying result of softness)...this was a new option which I was planning to try out...so I checked out some recipes from the net using idli rava instead of rice.....got a few different options...decided to go with one of those...n...gosh...it turned out AWESOME...




Just AWESOME....so I had no choice but to pen it down....or rather in my case blog it down... 🤔 (wonder whether that sounds ok....does not have the same impact....anyways) ....so here goes...


Ingredients:

2 cups Idli rava
1 cup Udad dal
1 tsp methi seeds
1 cup cooked rice
Salt to taste

Method :

Rinse the idli rava a couple of times till the water runs clear then soak it for about 5 to 6 hours....similarly rinse n soak the udad dal separately n methi seeds too...
Cook rice n cool to use later in the grinding..

After 6 hours, drain the water from the idli rava grind it in a mixer..add little water as required...once it has become quite smooth ( this does not become totally smooth...it remains a bit grainy) at this point add the cooked rice...grind till it all comes together in a smooth paste...take it out in a large vessel...
Put the dal n methi seeds in the mixer and grind adding little water as required till it becomes a smooth paste...this does become very smooth.
Add this to the earlier ground batter n mix together with your hand...do not add salt at this stage..

Keep in a warm place overnight or for about 8 hours for fermentation...the batter will rise once it is fermented.
Take out batter required for steaming...add salt to taste...mix gently....keep the rest of batter in refrigerator for later use...
Put some water in idli vessel or cooker and heat till water comes to a boil...apply oil or butter to grease the idli plates...put batter...and steam for 12 minutes...
Take it out...cool.. n....serve with chutney & sambhar.

Enjoy !!!


P.S.  For dosa...add a little water so that it is easier to pour n spread on tava.

I made both..idli in the afternoon for lunch n dosa in the night for dinner...it was so soft..so delish...I just could not resist putting it down in my blog...for me to remember n for others to know.

I have to make a special mention of my Mom here, she used to make very soft idlis with our traditional method of rice n udad dal...she would be very happy with the ones I managed to make with this new method...she loved trying out new ways to do things...I miss talking to her about it..and giving her a taste of all that I make and getting her opinions regards everything ( even if she did not agree with me most of the time ....ha ha...) ....but I do feel her presence in all I do n feel her guiding hand on me..so this one is for you Mom...love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment