Sunday 26 January 2014

Eggless Low-fat Chocolate Brownie....or cake...or something in middle

Now this is a sort of repeat of one of my earlier posts, but had to put it down - could have done a update - but decided that it needed it's own space :-)

How it all started...

End of last year I had discovered a low-fat brownie recipe which I liked a lot - and as I mentioned in that post - it was not a proper brownie recipe -which is supposed to have a high proportion of fat to flour ...whereas that one was more cake like - and the term low-fat brownie is sort of an oxymoron...but as I said since it was such an amazing recipe - and I added a chocolate drink powder on top to give it an icing look - and turn it into a yummy desert...I had been thrilled with the end product and with myself... :-)

Anyways so yesterday we were invited to a sort of snack fest by one of our cousins - and I was to bring brownies with me to the do...now many in my hubby's family are non egg eaters...hence the search last night for an egg less brownie...
Turned up quite a few - but none as quick and easy as the earlier mentioned "low-fat brownie recipe"....so decided to innovate and turn that into a egg less recipe...

And again am so thrilled with the recipe and the end product and myself too... that I had to put it down in a post of it's own - to celebrate the success...


So the changes I made to that recipe was inclusion of a small ripe banana mashed, 2 Tablespoons of curd and omitted the eggs.

Have put down the changed ingredients and method here for the convenience of the readers...
This time I did not put the icing top of chocolate drink powder - decided to go plain....

Ingredients:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
3 Tblspns unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
6-8 dates de-seeded and chopped
1 small ripe mashed banana
2 Tblspns yogurt (curd)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
1 and half Tblspn oil
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:

1) Mash the banana in a small bowl, add the yogurt and the baking soda and keep aside. ( this is supposed to replace the egg in the original recipe) 

2) Mix the flours, baking powder thoroughly. Add cocoa powder to the mix.

3) To the milk, add the chopped dates, sugar, oil, vanilla essence.

4) Mix the banana mix, and milk mixture into the flours and beat it till it is all thoroughly mixed.

5) Add some chopped walnuts in the bowl and mix - reserve some for the top.

6) Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for about 25-30 minutes.

7) Do not over bake the brownies - if it is still a bit moist - i.e. you have some moist batter sticking to the toothpick - you can take it out - it will continue to bake in the dish for a while longer.
If you over bake it - the brownie turns hard.

8) Let it cool in the baking dish - you can even keep it in the fridge for a few hours - it makes it easier to cut into it.

Enjoy !!!

This time since I was taking it out to a mixed gathering, I did not bother with the chocolate drink topping - decided to take it plain - but you could certainly add that - I think it is a great addition - and looks very inviting...add to the taste too...
I am waiting while my camera battery is getting charged so that I could take a picture of it to upload on this blog...the last time we divided and ate up the brownie so fast - that all I had was some crumbs ...and hence there was no picture....

Hoping that all enjoy this brownie - and also the second cake that I baked ( again egg less, again chocolate, and again yummy ) - why 2 you ask? well we are a lot of us there today - and some kids too who love cakes - and so thought I would not stand a chance with taking just the one....:-)...so bye for now...off to our party.


Egg less Low-fat Brownie

Note : Sorry, was in a hurry to leave for the party and took some pictures but it did not turn out too good...still thought I should put it up since I have it - so it is in the end rather than the start of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment