Friday 31 January 2014

Kansar - Sheera with Fada - Broken Wheat pudding - Daliya Sweet Dish

Kansar or Fada Sheera


This month was very hectic - in terms of the no. of visitors we had - generally our home could be likened to a very sleepy village or town - but the past few weeks you could compare it to a bustling metropolis....

I guess, visitors from the fair climes prefer to come when it is a bit cool here for them (winter for us here in Mumbai) - it makes their stay more comfortable - but this year it seemed that everyone we knew - friends & relatives had come at the very same time...

While it was fun to meet up with all - and we had rollicking parties every second day [as much as our creaking bones would allow :-)] - the biggest question was what do I prepare for each one of our visitors...what are their preferences ...likes, dislikes....

Yesterday T's b-i-l was to arrive in Mumbai...so some of his favourite veggies, dhebra, etc were planned ...and for dessert, I decided to make a sheera  from fada - that is broken wheat - or daliya as it is called, the actual name for this dish is Kansar -  pronounced like kasar...I think the 'n' sound is silent...but anyways when I looked up the net - I saw it was spelled as kansar...so that is what I have put up on my title...though I prefer to think of it as fada sheera.

Ok - so coming back to this dish - I have seen while it was being made in A'bad, by our very talented cook B...and read a few different recipes for the same - but I made it slightly differently...and I think it turned out pretty good (so did T's bil ), so I decided to post the recipe.



I feel I should let the reader know the original recipe calls for some ghee to mixed into fada, and water to be boiled with some jaggery and some ghee, and then the fada put in the water and stirred till it cooks without lumping.
This is then served with some powdered sugar, and ghee...on top.

Then there are a lot of variations of the above recipe available on the net...I am sure as each household made it as per their requirement and taste.

I have made it once before - directly roasting the fada in ghee, this
time around I washed and soaked the fada, then drained it, then roasted in ghee till it changed a little in colour.
I also added powdered nuts (walnuts & almonds) along with cardamoms -(this I had ready to make another sweet) - but decided to use it for this to make the dessert richer.
I also chopped some almonds and put that in.

For sweetner I add Splenda - 4-5 Tblspns - but you could increase or decrease it as per your preference. 

So here is the ingredients and the method

Ingredients:

1/2 cup wheat fada
1 and half cups milk 
4 - 5 Tblspns Splenda or use powdered sugar
1/2 cup crushed mixed nuts - walnuts & almonds - optional
1/4 tsp crushed cardamom
2-3 Tblspns chopped almonds.
2-3 Tblspns ghee 
{2 is quite enough - and 4 is what it is supposed to be, so you could use a middle of 3...this is your choice in how rich you would like the dish to be...in that case increase...and/or  how healthy... so decrease ... :-) }

Method :

1) Wash & soak the wheat fada till it is just covered in water. Keep it aside for 30 minutes to an hour. Generally the fada will absorb almost all the water.

2) Take a non-stick pan, heat the ghee, drain the water from the fada if any is left...and add to the pan - roast till it changes colour slight (turns brown).

3) In another pan heat keep the milk on for heating.

4) Add some of the chopped almonds and roast for a couple of minutes. Keep aside some of the chopped almonds for garnish.

5) Add the crushed nuts and cardamoms. Mix thoroughly and roast for some more time.

6) Add the hot milk to this mixture - stir till it absorbs all the milk and becomes soft.

7) Add the sweetener ( Sugar or Splenda ) at this stage, check the taste and adjust accordingly.

8) Remove from heat. This is best served hot - if serving later reheat it - if it has become too dry - add a little milk and reheat - best reheated in a microwave.
If too much milk is added later - you may need to check on the sweetness and adjust again.
Add the remaining chopped almonds on top as garnish.



Enjoy !!!
Note : The crushed walnuts & almonds is optional - it just makes the dish more nutritional and richer.

I started writing this post a few days back - but somehow got tied up with a few domestic issues...so had to put it on hold...
Now it is almost time for T's bil(A) to come back to Mumbai after his visit to A'bad and on his way back home...

That means to reason to have another party...plan to call all the near & dear ones to meet A...that will be fun...
Once more to put on my thinking cap - what should I make?....the eternal question...
Anyways before we get to that - you please prepare kansar and have a great day...hope you love this dish too...




No comments:

Post a Comment