Tuesday 10 July 2012

Whole wheat Coconut Banana Mini Muffins

Mini Muffins

What again ??? This cause I was making my upmteen banana muffin or bread and also my third almost in a row coconut baked something....also have been using coconut quite a bit in other stuff, the most recent being the papad with coconut kosambari ( happala kosambari )....though according me to that does not count - it was a savoury ( spicy ) dish and not to be put in the same mould as a sweet one....

But as I said recently I had made a carrot cake ( which had been given a no. 1 star by my sister's work friends ), a coconut marbled cake / bread ( both recipes still to be posted ) and now this banana mini muffins with coconut...
well what do you do .....when you find a gem of a recipe you have to try it out ...right :-)

Well so here I am making this simple, very healthy ( whole wheat, no butter ), with some of my favourite ( banana, coconut ) ingredients...and very little sugar...so yes I am really thrilled...the occasion ...did not really need any...but had one handy...our friend was to pay us a visit ...it was not a sure thing...but I had to be ready  for him ???



Then I was wondering whether to post this or not - since I already have a post on banana muffins...but you can guess which way I went...so here's the recipe for this quick and delicious and healthy muffins....

Ingredients :

1/2 cup wholewheat flour**
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
4 Tblsp of dessicated coconut powder
1 egg
2 small or 1 large ripe banana
1/4 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar *
1/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence


Method:

1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
2) Line or grease mini muffins pan.
3) In a large bowl mash the banana and add yogurt and the baking soda and keep aside.
4) In another bowl add the egg, sugar, milk, vanilla essence and whisk it all together.
5) In another bowl whisk together the remaining dry ingredients.
6) Mix the egg mixture into the banana mixture and combine well.
7) Blend the flour mixture into the banana-egg mixture till just combined - do not overmix.
8) Spoon the mixture into the muffin moulds and bake for about 18-20 mins or till done.
9) Remove from oven, cool for 10 mins then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.


*This recipe had reduced sugar and so it is just there sweet...and could be had as a breakfast muffin with butter or jam ....or you could add more sugar ( a couple of tablespoons so as to make it a sweeter version, for dessert ...or you could put some icing on it and serve )...we love the not so sweet version so I kept it so.

** The title of this is whole wheat cause the original recipe had 1 cup of whole wheat flour...and it is also very good - but I decided to try out a lighter version with half all purpose flour and half wholewheat...this turned out pretty good...so I changed the recipe to include this...but muffins with entire wholewheat is also very good and hence did not change the title.

This recipes makes 24 mini muffins, but this time I made 12 mini muffins (top picture ) and 6 medium (regular) ones as shown below...
Coconut Banana Muffins

Enjoy!!!


Oh and btw ..our guest...he did not come...so guess there is more for us :-) ....
Generally I add nuts to most of my bakes...cakes, muffins, breads ...this time I did not ...so was missing them a bit ...perhaps next time will add some of my favs...walnuts...till then we will enjoy this and hope you get a chance to try it out too.




No comments:

Post a Comment