Tuesday 18 February 2014

Home made Ginger Powder

Ginger Powder

I had baked some cinnamon cookies and taken to a get together we had at T's cousin's place to meet some visiting family...it was a big hit..everyone loved it.
T's cousins B,R & A...were planning to go to Pondicherry for a visit and so were we after a month, and they asked me whether I could bake some ginger cookies, cause a dear friend who stays in Pondi loves them.

Now ginger cookies require ginger powder - some time back I had bought some from the store, but did not like them - I could not get any flavour of ginger from it - neither did it smell like it nor taste much like it...not sure how old the product was...I had read that it is best to use it freshly made.


So that was the reason for me getting some fresh ginger from the market, washing, peeling, chopping in thin slices or pieces, and spreading it out on the plate for drying under the sun. 

It takes about a couple of days normally, but we had cold days, cloudy skies, and so it took a bit longer.
Dried Ginger Slices / Pieces
Put the dried ginger pieces in a dry grinder or coffee grinder or your regular mortar & pestle...and dry into a fine powder. If you want it very fine, sieve it and run it thru once more.
In the grinder
Take small quantities of ginger so that you can make it fresh again when you need it next.

This can be stored in a bottle in a cool dark place or the fridge for a couple of months at least. 


I have my ginger powder ready...have to go to the next step of making the cookies...am hoping I will be able to find the time for that before my trip...and will be able to surprise them with yummy ginger cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment