Thursday 20 February 2014

Methi puri...a great snack

Methi Puris
My sister in law T makes amazing khari puris, have tried making it myself ...but have not been too successful...it was not that bad..but you know ...I was not too happy with the result....did not try after a couple of times...

Nyways had dropped the thought of making my own until I saw this on TV - some cooking show had methi puris on - and boy it was so simple the way they did it (at least that's how it appeared)...so I got charged up...and put it on my list of stuff to try out...not the exact same thing as a khari puri...but close enuff...and I love methi...so nothing holding me back...except maybe  'time'...?!?

Finally managed to get the time, get the ingredients...so here's the way I went about making this...by the way I checked the net..and there are so many different proportions of the flours and even the flours themselves...they have mix of all purpose, whole wheat, rava(semolina), besan ( chick pea flour)...with any or all of them and as I said the ratio also differing...
I went with the one I felt sounded right...and it actually turned out pretty good...used a tip from the TV show...roasted the jeera before adding it..

So here's the ingredients and method I used (turned out great)...and after this I may try out the khari puri once more...who knows I may be lucky this time around :-)...nyways getting back to methi puri...

Ingredients:

1 cup Whole wheat flour
1/2 cup All purpose flour
2 Tblspn rava(semolina)
1 cup methi leaves(fenugreek leaves)
2 Tblspn oil
1 tsp jeera roasted(cumin seed roasted)
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder(haldi powder)
salt to taste

Oil for frying

Method:
1) Wash, chop the methi leaves, mix the leaves along with the other ingredients and knead into a dough with little water.
Be careful not too add too much water as the dough has to be a little hard to make the puris.
2) Cover the dough and let it rest for about 1/2 hour. You can make it in 2 ways - either pinch out small bits of the dough and roll it out...or divide the dough into 4-5 portions and roll out each into a big disc. Take a circular mould and press onto the big disc so as to make smaller equal discs of 2 or 2.5 diameter...see picture below...

Rolling the puris
3) This is a very important step...take a knife and make some cuts or with a fork ..prick it all over. This prevents the puris from puffing up and becoming soft...helps in storing it better too...
4) Fry the puris on medium heat turning it a couple of times - till it starts turning a slight golden colour...do not let it brown too much.

Frying the puris
5) Remove from pan and let the oil drain on a tissue...cool and then store in an airtight container.

Enjoy !!!

This makes an amazing snack, can be had for breakfast with chai, or even as an accompaniment with a meal...can be eaten with a veggie, or pickle...
If rolled out very thin - it becomes more crisp, and seems more like a chip...or a papad...if rolled out a bit thick it is like a cracker...can be had with a dip..yogurt based, or with salads...a nice light meal.
Got to try it yourself..let me know how it turned out...thanks !

No comments:

Post a Comment