Wednesday 19 February 2014

Homemade Pasta Sauce

Pasta Sauce

I like pasta - always have...T on the other hand had phases of like and not exactly dislike - but something of that sort...more of a disinclination for it...

Our first foray into US had me making pasta at least once a week for a meal, either lunch or dinner...our second stay there - uhuh...not so much...I think this was because this time around T had a lot of travelling to do - and most of his meals out were pastas or sandwiches or pizzas...since as a vegetarian he used to have limited options...so when he was at home I would generally cook Indian meals...this was also the period of my life in which I started learning and experimenting with a lot of new dishes, recipes, ideas...looking to the Internet, friends, family for help.

Nyways after our return back to our homeland we both hankered for a occasional Italian meal { for us that translates to pasta and garlic bread...:-) } and thus began my experimenting into the making of pasta sauce (in US the easy availability and wide range of sauces led me to use the store bought ones), but here I prefer to make my own.

I generally prepare it in a larger quantity and freeze - and find it very convenient to use when required for making pastas as well as pizza ( have also made pizzas at home with ready pizza bread, my next experimentation will be with homemade pizza bread).


So here's the ingredients for the pasta sauce that I generally make, I have listed few other options below...though in many recipes the basic sauce consists of onion, garlic, tomatoes with spices...

Ingredients:

1 medium onion
5-6 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
1 large capsicum
4 large, or 6 medium tomatoes
1 tsp cumin (jeera)(optional)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp of Italian seasoning...I used Snapin's mixed herbs ( which contains oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, chilly flakes, thyme, salt)
1 Tblspn olive oil or regular vegetable oil
1 Tblspn coriander leaves(optional)

Method:

1) Chop the onions, garlic, chillies, tomatoes, capsicum into small pieces.
2) Heat a non-stick pan, and add olive oil.
3) Add the cumin and when it splutters, add onion - fry till it starts turning a little brown, then add the garlic and chillies and stir for a minute.
4) Add capsicum and cook till it softens a bit. Add tomatoes and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
5) Add all the seasonings and mix. 
Cooking in the pan
6) Do a taste test...and add any more seasoning if required.
7) Finally add the cilantro(coriander leaves) to it, mix and let it simmer on the gas for another 5-10 minutes till completely done.

8) Cool the mixture thoroughly - then crush it in a blender or mixer and store in the freezer in small portions.
Ready to be freezed in small portions

This stays good for at least 2-3 months. When required take one portion out and defreeze and use with pasta or pizza.

Enjoy !!!

This sauce can be made with many additions - this time around I added some grated carrot to it, sometimes I add curry leaves, or fenugreek seeds, sometimes coriander-cumin powder or roasted cumin powder....
The last time I had added ready made tomato puree - makes the colour more red...but had a bit more sour taste...so skipped it this time...can also add tomato sauce, ketchup...
Sometimes I add cinnamon and cloves during the cooking process and then remove before grinding...
All such inclusions and exclusions  just changes the flavour and taste of the sauce...you can do the same, try out whichever spice or condiment you prefer...so happy experimenting and hope you get to make and enjoy this with your pasta and pizzas too...love to hear your experience.
I hope to follow up with the pasta recipe soon...and also pizza with ready pizza bread...both using this pasta sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment