Monday 27 August 2012

Apple muffins

Apple muffin

The original recipe given to me by my friend has applesauce in it...and even when I was in the US with easy access to that product, I never used it...would generally make do with Gala apples - the red delicious apples which we would regularly stock at home...

Back here in India - I use whatever I tend to have at hand...am not sure of the names of any of the varieties - one they call Chinese, the large one sold with a mesh cover, then another small red variety and another large red types...just shows how ignorant I am....not that it matters which one but generally for these muffins if using the Chinese ones which are pretty large I use one and half - whereas if using the small red variety - I tend to use 2...

While in US, I used to make these many times, somehow here I have broadened my scope of baking and keep trying out different recipes and have not really baked these as much...but it is one of my all time favourites - the flavours, taste, smell of these are more subtle than the banana muffins which have a more intense, in your face types,  taste & smell of bananas...
The delicate taste of apples as it comes thru when you bite into it...along with the aroma of cinnamon and brown sugar is something to relish.

So when we were invited to dinner along with my visiting sis-in-law and her hubby to a cousin's place, I decided to bake these apple muffins...it was her favourite muffin and so I thought she would enjoy it...and so would our hostess and her two lovely daughters...

The dinner was amazing, we also had a delayed Raksha Bandhan since both my husband's sister and cousin had not met my husband since then...it was a fun party with lots of jokes and remembrances of past Raksha Bandhan. B ( our hostess ) is a very lively person and keeps us all in splits with her take on all matters....so thanks to all of them  for the lovely time we had...




Getting back to this recipe, the original was for about 24 - which I had halved and the original called for white granulated sugar which I changed to include part of brown sugar...
Here's how I go about it...

Ingredients:

2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 and half large apples or 2 medium apples
( or could use 1 cup applesauce )
1 and half cup All-purpose flour
1/2 Tblspn cinnamon powder
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts


Method:

1) If using apples - peel & grate the apples in a microwave safe bowl, put a couple of tsp of water over them and microwave them for about 3-4 mins. Stir after each minute and check whether it has softened to a pulp. Do not let the apples dry out...if required you could a tsp more of water. It should be just moist. Let it cool.

2) In another bowl beat eggs slightly, add sugar, oil, and cooled apple and mix thoroughly.

3) Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

4) Add the dry ingredients to the eggs mixture, and blend until smooth.

5) Add in the raisins and nuts.

6) Fill in the greased muffins tray...and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 - 25 minutes or till the toothpick comes out dry.

7) Cool in muffin tray for 10 minutes, then on the wire rack till completely cool, then store.


This proportion gives you about 12 medium sized muffins.
Enjoy !!!


A few other changes ...I love nuts in my bakes, so added some walnuts, and the original asked for brown sugar to be sprinkled on top - which I generally tend to omit - as we do like it too sweet...it is just right with the recipe as I use above. These are good for a snack or for breakfast...or could be served as a dessert and is yum with icecream too...

This muffin brings to mind my friend ( from whom I got this and the banana one...both absolutely great recipes )...she also had a lovely strawberry cake recipe - loved that - with fresh organic strawberries got from her farm, her jams, and all the other fresh veggies and fruits...(missing you all guys)...would love to go visit them or have them visit us. Anyways making these muffins is a good way to remember you all...here's wishing you all, the very best...with lots of love...thanks once again for the great recipes. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Is Basmati rice healthier than jasmine rice? Both Jasmine and Basmati rice are low in fat and will give you a small protein boost. However, basmati is a healthier choice for diabetics, as it has a lower glycemic index than high quality Pakistani rice (59 to jasmine's 89). Both of these varieties are usually sold 'white'.

    ReplyDelete