Monday 6 August 2012

Pesarattu Dosa - Green Gram Dosa

Pesarattu
Green gram dosa

A few days back it was raksha bandhan / balev...and I wanted to make some sweet for the occasion - decided to make puran poli / vedmi...though that is not the ideal sweet for decorating the rakhi thali...but it has been some time since we had made it and it is a particular favourite of Mom's ( which is another odd thing...you would have thought that I would have probably made something my brother liked...but he is not that fussy about sweets - so it was ok ...I guess ...I hope...I think I had better ask?!?). Regardless it was a good raksha bandhan.....got calls from my sister-in-laws too wishing me...thank you To & Ru....

So nyways thought I would post that down - but the past few days was too busy, besides which I had not taken any pictures of the process or the end product....and now it is all eaten and done with...so maybe the next time I make it....

I had missed blogging the past week...and so when I made dosa yesterday, immediately got out my camera - took pictures before, after and during...and here I am...pictures and post all set to go...



What do I say about this dosa, it has a unique flavour, quite unlike the regular udad dal, rice combi...it takes some getting used to, it is esp. good for diabetics who like to avoid rice...as the proportion of rice to dal is very little...
That did not come out right - gives you the impression of something not good but should be had for health reasons.....so not true...it is just that since it is not the common fare we get at all the eateries etc...it may take some getting accustomed to.

It can accomodate as many or as little of flavourings...you could add chilli, ginger, garlic, onion, coriander leaves...
I have put down the basic ingredients and method, I generally make it with just salt and green chillies...and sometimes with ginger and onions too...

Ingredients:

1 cup green gram dal
1/4 cup rice
2 green chillies
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds

Method :

1) Soak green gram dal and rice together for about 6-8 hrs or overnight.
2) Soak the cumin seeds in a little water too.
3) Grind the green gram dal and rice together along with cumin seeds, chopped green chillies along with little water till it is fine ...the consistency of the batter is that of dosa batter  - not too thick or thin...



4) Keep for few hours for it to ferment - add salt to taste and mix gently.



5) Take a scoop full of batter and spread on the non-stick pan, put a few drops of oil on top of the dosa, cover with lid and keep the heat on medium to high for a minute then reduce the heat and when the dosa is done on the lower side flip it and cook the other side too.










Serve hot...with chutney or sambhar...it tastes better hot.
Enjoy !!!



Tip : If adding ginger - add at grinding stage, in case of onion, coriander leaves add after it has fermented, along with salt and stir it in gently.
In case you are having it later - warm it in the micro and then serve.

This is such a versatile dish - serves as a breakfast meal with just chutney...or as a light lunch or dinner with chutney, sambhar or even with potato vegetable ( as in masala dosa types )...tastes good either way...
We both love all the varieties of dosas.. adai which is a mix of other dals too...and have even tried moong dal dosa but this is a little different from all of the above...
This has the skin of the dal too...which makes it more healthy and a very good source of fiber...and the jeera is added to help in digestion.

I had made some potato subzi and then out of the blue a cousin sent across to my parents place some idli and sambhar ( happy coincidence )- some of which came our way too... so it was a complete meal ....burp ! ....oops...

Well hope you get to try it out for yourself and love it as we do.

An update - 02/04/2017:
Reading up on more of these recipes decided to try out some of the options
1) added rice flour (2 Tblspn) instead of ground rice
2) added 2 Tblspns of chana dal along with green gram dal
3) added some ginger garlic along with chilli while grinding
4) added some chopped onions and coriander in batter before making the dosa
All this added a lot to the flavour of the dosa, so thought let me put this up on my blog for all, hope you try this out too.






No comments:

Post a Comment