Thursday 30 August 2012

Rajma Tikki - Kidney Beans Cutlet

Rajma Tikki

Certain dishes just tend to happen...without planning or thought...well not exactly ( some thought does go into it )...but almost...since this is how this tikki happened...

My original plan was to make a 3 bean salad , but one of the 3 beans (the kidney beans ) that I had pressure cooked was under done...so could not use it that day...so froze them...with plans to recook and then use another time...

Recently I had made rajma curry...and then a few days later it was rajma rice...so was not too keen to do either of  those again...wanted to do something different...

Then I remembered a recipe I had watched on the Food Channel...it was a tikki with rajma and brown rice...but did not have all the ingredients ready.....so decided to go for our traditional cutlet (tikki) recipe...with potato etc...

So that's how this all came about...and boy, was I glad I went with it...it was really and truly awesome...and so I had to share the recipe with all of you...here's hoping that you all love it too...

Ingredient :

1/2 cup rajma  - kidney beans
2 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
2 green chillies
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
2 Tblspn of oats
1 or 2 slices of bread or bread crumbs
a few sprigs of coriander leaves.
oil for shallow frying.

 Method :

1) Soak the rajma ( kidney beans ) over night and then pressure cook it with about 1/8 tsp of salt, till done. Drain the water ( you can use it in a curry ). Mash the beans.
2) Boil and mash the potatoes after draining the water.
3) Chop the onions and chillies and coriander leaves.
4) Mix rajma, potatoes, the veggies above and the seasonings, oats, ...then if required add bread crumbs or a slice or two of bread, you need for it all to come together. The oats and bread absorb any moisture left in the cooked beans and potatoes. Do not make it too dry.
5) Form small balls the size of a lemon...flatten it slightly and then shallow fry it in a non-stick pan with a little oil. Cook on both sides till it becomes firm and browned up.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
Enjoy !!!


This is good as a chaat - with beaten curds, chaat masala and roasted cumin powder sprinkled over it...you could add the green chutney and tamarind chutney too...
Or it could be had as a snack, or as a side with a meal, any which way - it is an amazing dish.

I made a few and kept the mix for the next day to make some more - had wanted to give some to my mom too to try out - she also loves trying out what ever I make...love to have her opinion on the same.
Since both T and my mom gave the thumbs up for these - guess I will be making it soon again...would be great if you try it out and let me know how you like it too....
 

7 comments:

  1. Dear friend ..love reading these recipes..makes my mouth water..

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks"
    rice

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.
    wholesalers in usa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Website. You should think more about RSS Feeds as a traffic source. They bring me a nice bit of traffic
    website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top post. I look forward to reading more. Cheers blog

    ReplyDelete